Wray Common’s Raspberry Pi – First Try

Wray Common’s first raspberry pi try out

image1

This is the first time we have tried out Wray Common’s raspberry pi!

In the box we have:

1. Raspberry pi
  2. Micro usb power supply
  3. Clear plastic case
  4. Preloaded sd card
  5. Key board
  6. Hdmi to dvi cable
  7. Monitor
  8. Lots of cables that we don’t really need!
  9. User guide
  10. Scratch programing book

We are going to put the preloaded  sd card in, and we have turned on the monitor. Done! We need to plug in the power supply. We need to plug in the key board and mouse. Done!

photo 1

Now the moment of truth we need to plug in the raspberry pi! Oh dear we forgot to plug in the hdmi! Oh dear again, we plugged  in the hdmi and nothing displayed! So we turned both of them off and on again at the same time (my Dad says this is good IT consultant practice), and it worked!

photo 2

We typed the user name of Pi, and the password of raspberry. Then Startx to start the desktop, a kind of Linux.

photo 3

We’re up and running with Raspberry Pi!

photo 4

By Charlie Hawker, Year 5, Wray Common Primary School

5 thoughts on “Wray Common’s Raspberry Pi – First Try

1. Great work! The Raspberry Pi has the potential to open up all kinds of new experiences for you and your class.

I particularly like Minecraft Pi Edition – a free version of Minecraft for the Pi. Check it out here:

http://pi.minecraft.net/

2. Way to go folks; I’d suggest starting with Scratch. It’s designed to help you get a start on understanding the beginnings of programming. Also check out http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ fond good stuff on driving interesting ways to flash lights and move motors from Scratch.

3. Hi Charlie

Wow and wow again! How brilliant that you have been able to get the Pi up and running in Zing Club. You will be able to start making some great projects with it.

I have found an article on how to build a Wildlife Camera using the Raspberry Pi to run it and a few other projects you could all try.

I’ll let Mrs Fine have them for next week.

Keep Coding! 🙂

Mrs Travers

4. Wow Charlie, does the raspberry pi do time travel as well!!! I thought you where on Cromer pier this morning!!!!

5. Great stuff Charlie and Wray Common!
    Now to get started programming. What do you think? Scratch? Maybe even some Python – there are a few books out there for beginners.